Manchester United CONFIRM Â£73m agreement to sign Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund… with England forward set to undergo his medical and agree personal terms after the European Championship
Manchester United have confirmed the imminent arrival of England forward Jadon Sancho in a Â£73million switch from Borussia Dortmund.
The German giants had earlier revealed the transfer in an announcement on the stock exchange, but now United have also sent a tweet from their official account.
In a small article on their website, United wrote: ‘Manchester United is delighted to announce it has reached agreement in principle with Borussia Dortmund for the transfer of Jadon Sancho.
Manchester United have confirmed the imminent arrival of Jadon Sancho from Dortmund
Dortmund have insisted that it is Sancho’s desire to move back to England from Germany
Dortmund CEOÂ Hans-Joachim Watzke (right) explained the latest at a press conference
Manchester United tweeted on Thursday afternoon to confirm the arrival of Sancho to the club
‘The signing is subject to contractual terms and a medical, which will be completed after Jadonâs involvement in the UEFA European Championship.’
Sancho is currently among Gareth Southgate’s 26-man England squad, but has only featured briefly off the bench against the Czech Republic, with England through to the quarter-finals against Ukraine on Saturday night.Â
Earlier on Thursday, Sancho’s exit had been confirmed by Dortmund,Â who have been left furious by the low transfer fee and the player’s desire to leave.
The summer switch was first confirmed by the German giants in a statement to the stock market on Thursday morning, before CEOÂ Hans-Joachim Watzke sat down in front of the press to further explain the situation.Â Â
At the unveiling of new manager Marco Rose, Watzke revealed that an agreement is in place for Sancho, but that Dortmund were unhappy with the fee, given they were pushing for Â£108m just one year ago.
At the time United failed to meet that valuation and one year later they have now landed their man for a full Â£35m less than Dortmund had previously demanded.
Sancho is currently on England duty but had asked Dortmund to allow him United switch
Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer looks to be closing in on the huge signing
Dortmund’s statement to the stock market announcing Sancho’s imminent exit to United
United will hope that the arrival of the impressive 21-year-old to their front-line can help propel them closer to Manchester City and the Premier League title.
Sancho previously played for United’s city rivals, joining their academy from Watford in 2015, before heading to Germany and Dortmund two years later.
He has since gone from strength to strength, playing 137 times for the first team across four seasons.Â
Speaking on Thursday morning, Watzke told the press: ‘There is an agreement, but not yet enforcement. There are still medical tests pending. This is done explicitly at Jadon’s request.Â
‘We would have liked to keep him. But he behaved fantastic and it makes a difference whether someone communicates this clearly or goes on strike with a riot. We are sad that he is leaving, but we will surely find a solution.’
Sancho was previously in Manchester City’s academy before heading to sign for Dortmund
Sancho joined City from Watford in 2015, spending two years at the Etihad before his Â£8m exit
New boss Rose, meanwhile, said: ‘Jadon’s qualities were unpredictable. Every coach likes to have a player like Jadon Sancho on his team. We knew that it could mean that Jadon won’t be there next season. We’ll try to get him replace and find creative solutions. We see opportunities in repositioning ourselves in certain positions.’
DortmundÂ became the first publicly-traded club in Germany back in 2000, meaning they are obligated to keep their shareholders up to date with goings-on at the club.Â
And it was via their announcement to the market at 10:29am BST on Thursday that the England man’s exit to Old Trafford was confirmed.Â